I first heard of SCORM in June of 2004 at an ETOM retreat. I didn't fully understand it at the time. I thought it was a set of standards to make learning content more accessable to those with disabilities and although I would want to do that as much as possible, I didn't see how it could work for some of my programs. I was concerned that we would deprive those without the disability of some wonderful learning tools in the name of fair access to all.
In April 2006, I started asking about making my PHP software communicate scores to Angel (the learning management system that my school uses). Someone said something about loading it as a SCORM package, but it didn't really go much further than that at the time. I guess it just didn't click with what that had to do with anything and how it would work.
Later, I made a SCORM 1.2 version of the sample program and began experimenting with loading it in Angel. Things weren't working right at first, so I had to do a lot more experimenting. It was beginning to look like things would not work out in time for my online course to start in the fall. I had to take some time off of my experimenting to set up my course with my new policies and syllabus. I left the idea of using the SCOs open because I still wanted to do it. I finally got them to partially work. At first I had to check my students results one student at a time. I also had to warn my students about some of the error statements that would pop up. Angel fixed their end of things and now my SCOs will record grades properly without the error statements. I no longer have to check my students results individually. I can just go into the gradebook and check them all at once.